by Staff Writers
Beijing, China / China (AFP) Aug 19, 2013
Devastating floods at opposite ends of China have left 105 people dead and another 115 missing in recent days, state media said Monday.
Flooding in the northeast which left 72 people dead was described as "the worst in decades" by state news agency Xinhua, while another 33 people died in the south as a result of the weather, it said citing the ministry of civil affairs.
Liaoning, the worst-hit province, had 54 fatalities and another 97 people missing, Xinhua said.
President Xi Jingping "has demanded all-out efforts in putting people's lives first", the agency added.
The worst-hit province in the south, battered by Typhoon Utor last week, was Guangdong where 22 people were dead and eight missing, it added.
Transport links were severely crippled, affecting tens of thousands of travellers.
Some services from Guangzhou railway station, Guangdong's most important transport hub, were suspended due to rain and landslides.
State media said 80,000 passengers were stranded over the weekend because of the disruption.
Services were beginning to return to normal from Monday, the station said in a statement on its website.
More than 2,800 soldiers have been drafted in to help with the relief efforts, Xinhua reported earlier.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|