By Joanna CHIU
Beijing (AFP) June 27, 2017
The number of people missing from a huge landslide that buried a mountain village in southwest China last weekend has been revised down from 93 to 73, authorities said Tuesday.
The confirmed number of dead remained at 10 after heavy rain brought down the side of a mountain on to Xinmo village in Sichuan province on Saturday.
But an additional 20 people were reported to be "safe", according to the Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture of Aba.
The statement said the figure was revised after officials "visited households, checked household registration and telephone records and conducted public cross-examination".
It did not explain if any of those people had been rescued from the rubble or if they had been wrongly reported missing.
Meanwhile, the official Xinhua news agency said more rock and mud fell on the site of the tragedy on Tuesday.
No one was injured in the new and smaller avalanche as the area where the village once stood had been cordoned off following warnings on Monday, Xinhua reported.
Rescue workers who had been digging through the rubble since Saturday's disaster were evacuated from the area on Monday in anticipation of another collapse.
Diexi, China (AFP) June 25, 2017
Rescuers dug through earth and rocks for a second day on Sunday in an increasingly bleak search for some 118 people still missing after their village in southwest China vanished under a huge landslide. Officials have pulled 15 bodies from the avalanche of rocks that crashed into 62 homes in Xinmo, a once picturesque mountain village nestled by a river in Sichuan province. Only three surv ... read more
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|