by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Sept 1, 2012
Japan conducted a national earthquake drill on Saturday after the government unveiled a worst case disaster scenario that warned a monster jolt in the Pacific Ocean could kill over 320,000 people.
The annual drill also came shortly after a tsunami warning was temporarily issued in Japan late Friday following a 7.6 quake that struck off the Philippine coast -- reminiscent of last year's disaster in northeastern Japan.
Police suspended traffic at some 120 points in central Tokyo to spare lanes for emergency and military vehicles while passengers were guided to safe zones from train stations in a simulation of a post-quake scenario.
Throughout Japan, about 387,000 people were scheduled to take part in the drills.
Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, wearing working clothes, held a mock emergency news conference at the prime minister's office and called on people to act orderly for evacuation.
Disaster Prevention Day is an annual exercise to train for a potentially deadly magnitude-7.3 quake scenario in Tokyo and is held to commemorate the anniversary of the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake, which killed more than 100,000.
On Wednesday, Japan's government said many of the estimated 323,000 victims could be killed in a scenario that sees a powerful undersea quake of about 9.0 magnitude unleashing waves of 34-metres (112 feet).
On March 11 last year, a 9.0 magnitude quake struck seismically-active Japan, triggering massive tsunami that left some 19,000 dead or missing and sent reactors at the Fukushima nuclear plant into meltdown.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Quarry explosion kills nine in China: media
Beijing (AFP) Aug 27, 2012
A load of explosives accidentally went off on Monday at a quarry supplying a cement plant in southern China, killing nine people and leaving another missing, state media said. Workers were in the process of unloading 13 tonnes of explosives from three trucks at a quarry in Yingde city in Guangdong province when some of them ignited, the official Xinhua news agency said. At least nine peo ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|