by Staff Writers
Mexico City (AFP) Oct 10, 2011
Mexican authorities have placed four southern coastal states on high alert ahead of Tuesday's expected arrival of Jova, a major hurricane barreling in from the Pacific.
The Miami-based US National Hurricane Center said in a 1500 GMT bulletin that Jova was now packing maximum sustained winds of 125 miles (205 kilometers) per hour.
It has strengthened to a category three storm on the five-level Saffir-Simpson scale and was forecast to become a category four before weakening as it makes landfall on Tuesday.
Mexican authorities issued hurricane alerts for large swaths of the Pacific coastline, with the system some 250 miles (400 kilometers) from the busy port city of Manzanillo, in Colima state.
The zone stretched north from the port of Lazaro Cardenas in Michoacan for almost 300 miles (480 kilometers), encompassing the popular tourist cape of Cabo Corrientes in Jalisco, Mexico's meteorological institute said.
Colima, Jalisco, Michoachan and Nayarit state to the north were all put on guard for possible landslides from heavy rain expected to be dumped by the ninth Pacific hurricane of the season.
"A dangerous storm surge is expected to produce significant coastal flooding near and to the east of where the center makes landfall," the NHC warned in its latest bulletin.
The surge, said the hurricane center, "will be accompanied by large and destructive waves" as well as torrential rainfall with accumulations of up to 15 inches (38 centimeters) in some areas.
Several major storms or hurricanes have buffeted Mexico's Pacific coast in recent months but most have remained offshore.
The season's first named storm, Arlene, left at least 16 people dead and drenched much of the country in July.
Tropical storms and hurricanes last year caused flooding and mudslides in Mexico that killed 125 people, left hundreds of thousands homeless and caused more than $4 billion in damage.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Over 100 dead after Philippine typhoons
Manila (AFP) Oct 9, 2011
Philippine authorities said Sunday the death toll from two typhoons that pummelled the country two weeks ago had reached 101, with tens of thousands of people still displaced by massive flooding. Typhoon Nesat, which struck the main island of Luzon's low-lying agricultural plains, left 82 dead in its wake, while Typhoon Nalgae - which hit five days later - killed 19, the Office of Civil De ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|