by Staff Writers
Wellington (AFP) Nov 30, 2017
New Zealand police on Thursday ruled out laying criminal charges over the catastrophic collapse of a office block that claimed 115 lives in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.
The CTV building crumpled then burst into flames after the 6.3-magnitude tremor on February 22, 2011, killing those trapped inside, including 65 foreign students mainly from Japan and China.
After a four-year investigation, police said they did not have enough evidence to proceed with negligent manslaughter charges against the engineers responsible for the building.
"The evidence available is not sufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction in court," police said in a statement.
The building's collapse accounted for almost two thirds of the 185 deaths in New Zealand's worst quake for 80 years, which flattened the downtown area of the South Island's largest city.
A royal commission concluded in 2012 that the six-storey, 1980s-era office block was so badly designed it should never have received a building permit.
It had also been damaged in two quakes which preceded the deadly February tremor, something the local council failed to pick up, allowing it to remain occupied.
The building "pancaked" within 20 seconds of the quake hitting and was engulfed in an inferno so intense that forensic experts had to use DNA testing to identify the remains of many victims.
Police said the investigation raised issues that were "delicate and finely balanced" but ultimately the evidence was not strong enough to take to court.
Detective Superintendent Peter Read said he was aware the families of victims would be disappointed.
"If I'd taken my heart's advice, we would have prosecuted but I can't take my heart's advice, I have to use my head," he told reporters.
"We've done everything that we possibly could to achieve a prosecution outcome for them (the families). If the evidence isn't there, we're not going to manufacture it, we have to deal with the facts we're presented with."
Justice Minister Andrew Little said the government would consider introducing a charge of corporate manslaughter to ensure those responsible for such tragedies were held accountable.
"Another disaster that seems to have been avoidable -- everybody involved in it has walked away scot-free," he told Radio New Zealand.
"That's not right and I think we do have to do better."
Tehran (AFP) Nov 26, 2017
The number of dead in a major earthquake that hit Iran's western province of Kermanshah this month has risen to 483, official news agency IRNA said. The rise from a previous toll of 436 reported last week came after some people died from their injuries and authorities identified several dead who were buried in haste, IRNA and other Iranian media outlets said. The 7.3-magnitude quake stru ... read more
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|