Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
by Staff Writers
Los Angeles (UPI) Aug 5, 2013
A skyscraper project approved by the Los Angeles City Council last week may have an active earthquake fault directly beneath it, state officials say.
The Hollywood earthquake fault is active and may run directly under the million-square-foot Millennium Hollywood project, which would create two of Hollywood's tallest towers, California's state geologist said.
While the Hollywood fault has been known to geologists for several decades, it has never been accurately mapped on a block-by-block basis.
California law forbids construction of new buildings within 50 feet of an earthquake fault that has been declared active.
The head of the California Geological Survey, John Parrish, told the Los Angeles Times in an interview there is ample evidence the fault is active and capable of producing a devastating earthquake.
Parts of the fault appear to run underneath the Millennium towers, planned for 35 stores and 39 stories near Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street, but further tests are needed for final confirmation, Parrish said.
"This is a very big project that they're working on, and they should have the latest information that's available," he said.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|