by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) July 26, 2016
The World Bank has frozen funding for a massive dam project in the Democratic Republic of Congo after the government altered plans for the project.
The Bank said in a statement late Monday that is was suspending disbursements on its $73.1 million grant aimed at funding technical assistance on the Inga-3 Basse Chute hydropower dam.
It froze the money after a DR Congo "decision to take the project in a different strategic direction to that agreed between the World Bank and the government in 2014."
It gave no details on what the problem was, but noted that its funding "aimed to support a government-led process for the transparent development of Inga-3 BC as a public-private partnership."
Only six percent of the funds have been disbursed so far, the Bank said.
The Inga 3 Basse Chute project is designed to boost power supplies to a region starved of electricity.
It would divert Congo River waters into a 12-kilometer (7.5-mile) channel and then pass them through a 100-meter-high (330-foot) hydropower dam in the Bundi Valley before releasing the water back into the river.
The intake would be above the existing Inga 1 and Inga 2 dams, and the outflow downstream from both.
The dam is expected to generate 4,800 megawatts of power, equivalent to the output of three third-generation nuclear reactors.
The World Bank said it remains committed to supporting the DR Congo.
"The World Bank Group is in a continuing dialogue with the Government about the implementation arrangements of the project, with the goal of ensuring that it follows international good practice," it said.
Water News - Science, Technology and Politics
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|