Earth Science News
SHAKE AND BLOW
At least 116 dead in northwest China earthquake
At least 116 dead in northwest China earthquake
by AFP Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Dec 19, 2023

At least 116 people were killed when an earthquake collapsed buildings in northwest China, state media reported Tuesday, as rescue workers raced to start digging through rubble in freezing conditions.

At least 105 were killed and almost 400 injured in Gansu province, local officials said, after the strong, shallow tremor struck around midnight.

According to state broadcaster CCTV, 11 others were killed and 100 injured in the city of Haidong in the neighbouring province of Qinghai.

The quake brought homes crashing down and caused other significant damage, sending people running into the street for safety, state news agency Xinhua said.

"I was almost scared to death. Look at how my hands and legs are shaking," said a woman of about 30 in a video posted to a social media account associated with the state-run People's Daily newspaper.

"As soon as I ran out of the house, the earth on the mountain gave way, thudding on the roof," she said as she sat swaddled in a blanket outside, cradling a baby.

Footage from CCTV showed family possessions visible among strewn masonry from a house that caved in during the quake.

Rescue work was under way early Tuesday, with Chinese President Xi Jinping calling for "all-out efforts" in the search and relief work.

Temperatures are below freezing in the high-altitude area, and rescuers should be on guard for secondary disasters, he said according to CCTV.

The quake, which was logged as magnitude 5.9 by the US Geological Survey, struck in Gansu near the border with Qinghai, where Haidong is located.

That epicentre is about 100 kilometres (60 miles) southwest of Gansu province's capital, Lanzhou.

Xinhua reported the quake -- which was felt in the major city of Xi'an in northern Shaanxi province, about 570 kilometres (350 miles) away -- as being magnitude 6.2.

Several smaller aftershocks followed the initial earthquake, and officials warned that tremors with a magnitude of more than 5.0 were possible in the next few days.

A quake measured at magnitude 5.2 by USGS was detected further northwest in Xinjiang province on Monday morning.

- Freezing temperatures -

Power and water supplies were disrupted in some villages around the epicentre, Xinhua said.

Footage from one of the worst-hit places on CCTV showed residents warming themselves by a fire while emergency services set up tents.

CCTV said more than 1,400 firefighters and rescue personnel had been sent to the disaster zone, while another 1,600 remained "on standby".

The broadcaster added that supplies including drinking water, blankets, stoves and instant noodles were also being sent to the affected area.

Footage showed emergency vehicles driving along snow-lined highways towards the scene with their lights flashing.

Rescue workers in overalls were pictured shoulder-to-shoulder in the trucks, while other images showed them lining up in ranks to receive instructions.

Other clips showed emergency personnel going through debris by torchlight, unfolding orange stretchers for the casualties.

Hundreds of people have been evacuated in Gansu, officials said.

The earthquake struck at a shallow depth at 11:59 pm local time Monday (1559 GMT), according to the USGS, which revised the magnitude downwards after initially reporting it to be 6.0.

Earthquakes are not uncommon in China. In August, a shallow 5.4-magnitude earthquake struck eastern China, injuring 23 people and collapsing dozens of buildings.

In September 2022, a 6.6-magnitude quake hit Sichuan province leaving almost 100 dead.

A 7.9-magnitude quake in 2008 left more than 87,000 people dead or missing, including 5,335 schoolchildren.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
SHAKE AND BLOW
Magnitude 7.1 quake hits off Vanuatu, tsunami warning lifted
Sydney (AFP) Dec 7, 2023
A 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck Thursday off the coast of the Pacific island nation Vanuatu, but a tsunami threat passed and there were no immediate reports of damage. The offshore quake hit at 1256 GMT at a depth of 48 kilometres (30 miles), around 120 kilometres south of the town of Isangel and 340 kilometres from the capital Port Vila, the United States Geological Survey said. "There is no longer a tsunami warning from this earthquake," the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said after revisin ... read more

SHAKE AND BLOW
Organisers of deadly 2021 China ultramarathon sentenced to jail

Winter rain compounds suffering of displaced Gazans

13 dead in Argentina as club roof collapses in storm

Australian disaster crews tally damage from Cyclone Jasper

SHAKE AND BLOW
UK criticises dependency on China for rare metals

NASA Laser Reflecting Instruments to Help Pinpoint Earth Measurements

Closing the design-to-manufacturing gap for optical devices

This adaptive roof tile can cut both heating and cooling costs

SHAKE AND BLOW
Debt-laden UK utility giant Thames Water names new boss

Native oysters return to Belfast after a century's absence

Thames Water says needs more time for financial turnaround

Xi says China, Vietnam must oppose attempt to 'mess up Asia-Pacific'

SHAKE AND BLOW
Third Pole's expanding glacial lakes pose greater flood risks, research reveals

Warmest Arctic summer caused by accelerating climate change

Russia's isolation takes toll on Arctic climate science

Tropical ice cores offer deeper insights into Earth's temperature record

SHAKE AND BLOW
Once the enemy, majestic condor wins hearts of Colombian farmers

Beef farming that keeps cattle on lifelong grass diets may have higher carbon footprint

Novel meat and dairy alternatives could help curb climate-harming emissions - UN

Deep Sand Technology and GEODNET Foundation Collaborate to Enhance Precision Agriculture in Rural North America

SHAKE AND BLOW
Hundreds evacuated as flood disaster unfolds in northeastern Australia

Northeastern Australia hit by 'life-threatening' flooding

A hurricane-proof town? Florida community may be a test case

Cyclone Jasper makes landfall in Australia

SHAKE AND BLOW
Dozens killed in jihadist attack in central Mali: Local sources

Rwanda relaxes curbs on bars, clubs for festive season

Anti-tank mine kills 4 soldiers in Senegal's Casamance

US says prepared to resume conditional cooperation with Niger

SHAKE AND BLOW
To counter effect of facial biases in legal system, researchers suggest new training

North America's first people may have arrived by sea ice highway

Smoking shrinks brain, says study linking cigarettes to Alzheimer's, dementia

Wild birds analyze grunts, whistles made by human honey-hunters

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.