|
|
|
Toll from Cyclone Gezani rises to 62 in Madagascar Antananarivo, Madagascar, Feb 19 (AFP) Feb 19, 2026 At least 62 people have died and 13 are missing as a result of Cyclone Gezani, which hit Madagascar last week, the country's disaster agency said on Thursday. The previous toll said 59 people had died in the storm on February 10. Most of the fatalities were reported in the port city of Toamasina on the east coast, formerly known as Tamatave, Madagascar's second?largest urban centre with around 400,000 inhabitants. The United Nations' Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Thursday 35,000 people had been forced to leave their homes and 382,000 required urgent aid. A total of 25,000 homes were destroyed and more than 750 school classrooms. The cyclone then moved on towards Mozambique, where at least four people died. It did not reach the Mozambican coast, remaining 50 kilometres (30 miles) from shore. But it lashed the southern city of Inhambane and the surrounding region, packing winds of up to 215 kilometres per hour, according to meteorologists. |
|
All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
|