by Staff Writers
Sydney (AFP) June 5, 2011
The damage bill from massive floods which hit northeastern Australia this year will likely be Aus$6.8 billion dollars (US$7.3 billion) -- $1 billion more than previously thought -- an official said Sunday.
Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser revised the cost of the natural disaster which affected an area the size of France and Germany combined and was followed within days by the destructive Cyclone Yasi after getting further estimates.
"As well as the tragic human cost, there has also been enormous damage to infrastructure and significant costs incurred in managing the response and recovery process," Fraser said in a statement.
"Such a big damage bill underlines the enormity of the task ahead."
Australia suffered historic floods in December and January which swamped coal mines, ruined roads and other infrastructure and destroyed crops and farmland in Queensland.
The first estimate was that Aus$5.8 billion of damage had been caused by the floods which swamped thousands of homes and paralysed the state capital Brisbane.
Fraser said the revised figure was due to local councils increasing their estimate for repairs by $900 million to more than $2.7 billion.
The floods, which claimed more than 30 lives, also helped Australia's economy to its heaviest contraction for 20 years in the first three months of 2011, according to data released last week.
"It wasn't surprising the economy contracted by 1.2 percent in the quarter, with the floods and cyclones estimated to have sliced 1.7 percentage points from growth," national Treasurer Wayne Swan said in his weekly note.
Swan said the floods and cyclones in both northern and western Australia had cost $12 billion in lost production, some $6.7 billion of which was in the March quarter, chiefly in the key coal mining industry.
Australia is home to the world's largest coal export port and sends millions of tonnes of the fuel annually to Asian steelmakers and power companies, with total 2010 shipments worth Aus$43 billion.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Japan PM faces backlash after surviving challenge
Tokyo (AFP) June 3, 2011
Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan faced a backlash Friday for saying he would quit once recovery from the March 11 quake disaster takes hold, and then suggesting he wants to stay until next year. Apart from an opposition outcry, Kan's predecessor Yukio Hatoyama called him a "cheat" for reneging on an alleged promise to step down within months while his foreign minister, Takeaki Matsumoto, sai ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|