by Staff Writers
Sydney (AFP) Feb 4, 2012
Thousands of people were stranded by floodwaters in eastern Australia on Saturday as the surging deluge poured into hundreds of homes and rescuers searched for a woman swept away by the torrent.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard ordered eight military helicopters to help in search, evacuation and resupply missions in Queensland state, where days of heavy rainfall have prompted hundreds of evacuations and dozens of rescues.
And in neighbouring New South Wales, emergency officials said 16,550 people were stranded, with the worst affected areas around Moree in the state's north where floodwaters are expected to remain at their peak for several days.
In the inland Queensland town of Charleville fears a temporary levee would collapse as the Warrego River swelled, flooding the whole town, appeared to have abated but authorities remain on high alert.
"Right now the levee is holding and on all current forecasts it's likely to keep doing that, but there's not very much room for error," Queensland Premier Anna Bligh told reporters in a visit to the town.
"We have a 24-hour watch on the levee to make sure we are ready if anything happens."
Bligh, who just over a year ago was dealing with epic floods that swamped the state, sweeping away entire hamlets and flooding thousands of homes, said Charleville was suffering its third flood in as many years.
"That's too many, and there's a lot of heartache here today," she said.
"I've spoken to people who are very close to tears."
In the town of Roma to the east, where more than 200 homes had been flooded, police were continuing their search for a woman missing since Friday after her vehicle was swept off the side of a road.
"A boy was rescued from the car and a woman got out of the vehicle but rescuers could not keep hold of her," police said in a statement. "The woman was swept away in fast flowing flood waters."
As the flooding eased in Roma and nearby Mitchell, authorities said their focus would switch south to the town of St George downstream as it prepared for major flooding as the waters moved south.
Maranoa Mayor Robert Loughnan said while it was relief that floodwaters were receding in parts, the damage to towns such as Mitchell and Roma, which have suffered floods three years in a row, would be "gobsmacking".
"It's a massive flood," he told the ABC. "We talk about the 2010 flood being the big one in Roma and of course last year's was just as damaging.
"This third one is just amazing in its scope and I guess the true scale will become clearer as the waters recede in the next few days."
In New South Wales, some residents were returning to their homes in Moree to view the damage caused as the Mehi River steadily fell, but communities remained isolated by the floodwaters.
The extent of the damage is not yet known but the State Emergency Service said some 300 homes and businesses were inundated.
The SES has carried out 18 flood rescues since Friday, including airlifting a group of people trapped on the roof of a building as snakes swam in the water beneath them.
SES assistant commissioner Andrew Edwards said while the rain was easing, the amount of flooding in the region and to the north meant that "we can expect these floods to be going on for months" in some pockets.
Australia suffered epic floods late 2010 and in the January 2011 which swamped a huge area of Queensland, inundating thousands of homes and businesses, sweeping away small villages and leaving more than 30 people dead.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
UN makes new appeal for Philippine flood victims
Manila (AFP) Feb 3, 2012
The United Nations made an urgent appeal on Friday for millions of dollars in extra aid to help more than 300,000 people in the Philippines who were displaced by devastating floods late last year. The UN "flash appeal" was increased to $39 million, up from $28 million requested immediately after Tropical Storm Washi washed away whole villages on th southern island of Mindanao on December 16. ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|