Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Earth Science News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



Australia rethinks fire plans after killer blaze

Australia blaze toll hard to tally: police
Australian police on Sunday appealed for patience from wildfire victims awaiting final figures on the full extent of the disaster that has claimed more than 180 lives. The official death toll has stood at 181 since late Tuesday, even though body identification specialists and forensic experts have spent days sifting through the ashes of devastated towns. Victoria state police provided regular updates on the number of dead during the first days of the disaster as the initial toll rose from 14, with the figures sometimes jumping by dozens, as the scale of disaster was revealed. In one town, Marysville, which was razed in the fires, the official toll remains at 15, even though Victorian Premier John Brumby said last week that 100 bodies may lie in its ruins. Brumby has said the overall toll will exceed 200, while police chief commissioner Christine Nixon said last Wednesday that the coroner's office had prepared facilities for 300 bodies. Amid enormous public interest in Australia's worst ever wildfire disaster, Nixon defended the lengthy delay in providing updates, saying police needed to be "very sure" when revising the death toll. "I understand people's frustrations about that," she told Sky News. "But in the early phases, we were identifying people rapidly, we were able to understand the number of people who had died. "We're (now) working with the coroner in very difficult circumstances where people's bodies have been found. We need to be able to identify and work on that problem. The processing was fairly quick to start with, but now it's slowed down." Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe said on Saturday the work was slow and arduous. "As we start to move further into Marysville, I expect the number of bushfire victims will increase, but that's probably going to be early into next week," he said. A group of eight Indonesian disaster victim identification experts arrived Sunday to help their Australian counterparts. They have been involved in identifying victims of the Bali bombings in 2002 and 2005, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and several earthquakes in Indonesia.
by Staff Writers
Alexandra, Australia (AFP) Feb 15, 2009
Flying over Australia's deadly wildfires last week, US waterbombing pilot Gary Wiltrout could not believe the ferocity of the inferno he saw below.

House after house ignited in rapid succession as showers of red-hot embers and sheets of flame burst across the rugged hills of southeastern Victoria state at 100 kilometres (62 miles) per hour -- the speed of the wind.

"I don't think anyone can tell you what it's like up there. It was just absolutely crazy," said the aerial firefighter with 38 years experience.

"The people that stayed behind to fight that fire, I mean, it's extremely brave and it cost them their lives."

Australia is perhaps the most fire-prone continent on earth, yet the inferno on February 7 -- fed by a searing heatwave and drought-like conditions -- has shaken the nation's confidence in its ability to cope with such threats.

At last count, 181 people had lost their lives, more than 1,800 homes had been destroyed and around 400,000 hectares (988,000 acres) of land had been reduced to cinders.

One country town, Marysville, was all but wiped out in the worst bushfire the country has ever seen.

Wiltrout's bird's-eye view may help explain how a blaze that many had predicted still caused so much death and destruction in a land where bushfires are a fact of life.

A high-level panel headed by a retired supreme court judge has been set up to examine what went wrong, and why so many people died as they fled in cars or tried to defend their homes.

"No stone will be left unturned," Victorian state Premier John Brumby told The Australian newspaper on Friday.

As Wiltrout and his Canadian co-pilot, John Currie, tried to douse the flames in their firefighting helicopter, they were shocked to see people standing in the path of the firestorm.

Many were on their rooftops armed with garden hoses, mops, even brooms, trying to save their homes. From their seats high above the flames, the pilots knew those people were going to die.

"In my 22 years as a firefighter I've never seen anything as disturbing as this, the extent of the damage and obvious death," Currie said.

In Canada and most fire-prone US states such as California, people are forcibly evacuated from the path of dangerous fires, but Australia says citizens have a "right to stay" and defend their properties.

With proper precautions -- such as ample water supplies, a rooftop cleared of dead leaves, a pump connected to a generator -- Australian authorities say it is better to stay home than to flee at the last minute.

Houses offer protection from deadly smoke and radiated heat, the theory goes, and even if they catch fire they will continue to offer protection at least until the firefront moves on, by which time it is safe to go outside.

"The message is if you're prepared and able to stay and defend your property then do so, otherwise leave early," Victorian State Emergency Services Commissioner Bruce Esplin said.

But both pilots agreed Australia's policy of "stay and defend, or leave early" was a recipe for disaster.

"When some of them decided to stay they never had a fighting chance to begin with," Wiltrout said.

"If they'd really understood fire behaviour they could have said, 'This is undefendable,' they should have left, they should never even have tried."

He said it was all too obvious from the air that "people weren't prepared and they weren't clear" about what they needed to do to survive.

As the recriminations begin, environmentalists have been criticised for allegedly opposing proscribed burning and fuel management in the country's forests, which could have limited the intensity of the inferno.

On the other hand, global warming and Australia's high greenhouse gas emissions have also been blamed for extreme heatwaves and drought conditions ahead of the blaze.

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard said "this is not about laying blame at anybody's feet."

"I think all of that is going to be on the table for examination by the royal commission that has been announced by the Victorian government," she said.

"I expect that it will canvass matters like the planning scheme, back-burning, clearing vegetation around homes, communication systems, the whole lot."

Gillard said as a first step the government was fast-tracking legislation on an early fire warning system that would bombard mobile phones with text messages about fire dangers.

earlier related report
Battle against out-of-control fires rages in Australia
Thousands of firefighters were Sunday battling eight blazes burning out of control in southeastern Australia a week after walls of flame ripped through rural towns, killing at least 181 people.

Fire authorities said that while cooler temperatures and higher humidity were helping the battle against wildfires in Victoria state, it would take weeks to tame the deadly flames that have shattered the lives of thousands.

"We currently have eight fires listed as going across the state," said Department of Sustainability and Development spokesman Lee Miezis after four of the fire fronts merged into one overnight.

"These fires are not yet contained, but thankfully there are no immediate threat warnings to any communities at the moment," he told AFP, warning however that the fire danger was far from over.

"We are making good progress in containment efforts in some areas, but there's a long and difficult road ahead in bringing these fires fully under control, particularly those in steep and forested areas around Melbourne.

"We are potentially talking weeks before we have things completely under control and we are only part-way through our fire season," he said as around 4,300 firefighters battled blazes that have scorched 395,000 hectares (975,650 acres).

Two firefighters from the neighbouring state of New South Wales were injured overnight when a tree fell on them as they fought flames near the town of Alexandra, Miezis said.

The pair were transferred to hospital in Australia's second city Melbourne for treatment but their injuries were not life threatening.

Meanwhile a contingent of firefighters sent to help tackle the worst ever wildfire disaster in Australian history arrived in Melbourne on Sunday.

The team join comrades from New Zealand and across Australia who have spent more than two weeks beating back blazes that rampaged out of control through small towns in Victoria on February 7, killing at least 181.

Authorities have warned that the death toll will rise to above 200 as forensic teams sift through the ashes of small communities, some of which were wiped off the map by the blazes.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Australian wildfire survivors suing power firm: report
Melbourne (AFP) Feb 15, 2009
Australian wildfire survivors have launched a lawsuit against a Singapore-owned electricity firm alleging a downed power line sparked one of the blazes, it was reported Sunday.







  • Australia rethinks fire plans after killer blaze
  • Australian wildfire survivors suing power firm: report
  • Bare-chested Aussie fire hero hailed in parliament
  • Chinese TV employee among 12 held over fire: police

  • Climate change: 'Feedback' triggers could amplify peril
  • Rains bring relief from China drought
  • NIreland environment minister bans climate change ads
  • GREENHOUSE 09: New Climate Change Challenges

  • NASA Mission Meets The Carbon Dioxide Measurement Challenge
  • NASA's Terra Captures Forest Fire Horror From Orbit
  • NOAA-N Prime Environmental Satellite Launched
  • Raytheon Submits Final Proposal For NOAA's Environmental Satellite Ground Segment

  • Analysis: Nigerian oil protests intensify
  • Analysis: Report pans Iraq oil deals
  • Paris digs deep to harness Earth's green energy
  • China, Tanzania leaders sign multi-million-dollar deals

  • Researchers crack codes for common cold
  • AIDS: 'Major advance' seen in revolutionary gene therapy
  • AIDS funds head fears impact of economic crisis
  • Gum disease feared to trigger full-blown AIDS: Japan study

  • 'Modern methods' pit reindeer herders against animal activists
  • Life Above And Below
  • Vanishing Philippines wetlands threatens Arctic bird migration
  • Big Snake In A Warm Climate

  • UN urges world to tackle mercury health threat
  • Eco concerns slowly turning Asia textiles green
  • Dell expands US electronics recycling program
  • EU to launch environment project 'auction'

  • Neanderthal genetic code revealed
  • Tiny 'the new big' - world's shortest man
  • Myanmar envoy brands boat people 'ugly as ogres'
  • Best-selling author backs genies over geniuses

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement