by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Sept 10, 2015
China will give unusually large payouts to the families of firefighters killed in giant explosions in Tianjin last month, local media reported, after the disaster raised questions over whether the young men's training was inadequate.
Each family will receive 2.3 million yuan ($360,000) in compensation, a payment that includes extra money for "martyrdom", the Beijing News reported late Wednesday.
The death toll from a series of explosions on August 12 rose to 164 on Thursday, Tianjin authorities said, 97 of them firefighters. Nine people are still missing.
The compensation amount is more than double the $145,000 given to the families of each of the victims of a 2011 train crash outside the city of Wenzhou.
Of the 2.3 million yuan, 940,000 yuan is a "martyrdom payment", while most of the rest is 30 times the average annual urban salary, for lost income due to death.
The standard compensation for accident victims in China is 20 times the average salary.
The relatively large amount may be an attempt by the authorities to quell criticism after questions were raised over whether poorly trained firefighters could have contributed to the detonations in Tianjin.
Reports said emergency workers responding to a blaze at a hazardous goods storage facility could have sprayed water over calcium carbide, listed as being at the site. The two substances react to produce highly combustible acetylene gas.
Nearly all of China's firemen are contract labourers -- young, poor men from the countryside who receive limited training, provoking public concern over the professionalism and capabilities of the service.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|