by Staff Writers
Ouagadougou (AFP) July 14, 2011
Burkina Faso's military has discharged 566 soldiers following a wave of mutinees that swept across the country earlier this year, army chief of staff Nabere Honore Traore said Thursday.
During a late June meeting on insubordination in the army, "the military hierarchy proposed the termination of the contracts of 566 soldiers", Traore told journalists, explaining that more troops could still be sacked.
The army chief said several hundred of those already fired will face criminal charges for rebellion, desertion and looting, among other offences.
Protests first broke out in Burkina Faso in February over high food prices, unemployment, rising costs and looting by troops.
The unrest intensified when soldiers and paramilitary police joined the unrest in April, going on the rampage in several towns.
Residents in some affected areas, furious over the state's inability to control its troops, ransacked several government buildings.
The unrest caused more than seven million euro (10 million dollars) in damage, according to Traore.
By cracking down on wayward troops Burkina Faso is sending "a strong signal to the international community" about its desire to have a professional and disciplined army, Traore said.
Traore was tipped as army chief in April as part of a larger overhaul of the security services launched by Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore in response to the unprecedented unrest.
Compaore, in power since 1987, also fired army and police chiefs in April and formed a new government, naming himself defence minister.
Hundreds of soldiers were arrested as the government tried to contain and stamp out the mutinees.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Nigerian Islamists say no ceasefire until troops withdrawn
Kano, Nigeria (AFP) July 13, 2011
Nigerian Islamists blamed for a raft of bombings will not halt their attacks unless troops are withdrawn from the epicentre of the violence, a man claiming to be their spokesman said Wednesday. "We can cease fire if soldiers are withdrawn from Maiduguri because there is no way we can accept any peace deal when thousands of soldiers are being deployed to the city," Abu Zaid told journalists o ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|