by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) June 6, 2011
China said Monday it had evacuated more than 60,000 people in the nation's southwest after torrential rain triggered floods that killed one and left another 15 missing.
The floods in Guizhou province also damaged or destroyed thousands of houses, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said in a statement.
During the downpours, water levels on a river in Guizhou's Wangmo county rose over three metres above the safe level, before dropping back to a normal range, the official Xinhua news agency said.
State television broadcast images of water raging through towns, cars piled up and motorbikes covered in brown sludge. It also showed people being evacuated in the eastern province of Jiangxi, also hit by floods.
In neighbouring Hunan, meanwhile, around 16,000 people were evacuated in Loudi city during rainstorms, Xinhua said in a separate report.
The province has recently been hit by a severe drought, and the recent rains had helped alleviate the situation, the report said.
China suffers from serious summer rainfalls every year. In 2010, torrential downpours across large swathes of the country triggered the nation's worst floods in a decade.
More than 4,300 people died or went missing in China last year in landslides or floods, including 1,500 people who were killed in one devastating mudslide in the northwestern province of Gansu in August.
China's flood control and drought relief headquarters said Monday that the recent downpours had helped ease a severe drought along the Yangtze river, but warned that more than two million people still faced water shortages.
Weather authorities warned that rainfall this month, while relieving drought-hit areas, would also trigger floods in other parts of the country, Xinhua reported.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
US floods: Part of Missouri River closed to boaters
Chicago (AFP) June 3, 2011
The US Coast Guard late Friday closed a section of the swollen Missouri River to recreational vessels because of high water levels and flooding. "This measure will be in effect until the water levels decrease in order to ensure the safety of the boating public," Captain Steve Hudson, Coast Guard's commanding officer for the region, said in a statement. The 182-mile (293-kilometer) sectio ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|