by Staff Writers
Shanghai (AFP) Feb 3, 2016
Chinese courts have jailed 14 government officials and company executives for up to seven-and-a-half years over a 2014 factory explosion that killed 146 workers, the official Xinhua news agency reported Wednesday.
The blast was caused by the ignition of metal dust in a wheel hub polishing workshop in the eastern city of Kunshan, near commercial hub Shanghai.
An official investigation later showed the factory flouted safety rules.
China has a dismal industrial safety record. Some factory owners evade regulations to save money and pay off corrupt officials to look the other way.
An industrial explosion caused by improperly stored hazardous materials in the northern port city of Tianjin in August last year killed nearly 200.
And a landslide caused by improperly dumped construction waste in the southern city of Shenzhen in December is confirmed to have killed at least 73 people, state media said last month.
In connection with the Kunshan blast, Xinhua said five separate courts handed out jail terms of three to seven-and-a-half years on the owner and top managers of Kunshan Zhongrong Metal Products Co., as well as officials in charge of fire prevention, work safety and environmental protection.
It did not name them or give individual sentences.
The accident also injured 114 people and caused damage estimated at more than $50 million, Xinhua said.
State media have previously said that 35 officials were punished under internal Communist Party rules and an additional 18 suspects faced criminal prosecution over the accident.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|