by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Nov 9, 2016
Chinese courts Wednesday jailed almost 50 people over last year's giant explosions in the port of Tianjin that killed 165 people, state media reported.
The blasts at a chemical warehouse owned by Rui Hai International Logistics sent a huge fireball soaring into the sky and mangled structures kilometres away.
Social media users recorded the scene of what rapidly became the country's highest-profile industrial accident in years.
A swathe of the northern port was devastated and fears of toxic pollution were rife, with cyanide levels in the disaster zone far above national limits.
Those convicted on Wednesday were 24 company managers and staff members and 25 government officials, the official news agency Xinhua said.
The charges ranged from illegal storage of materials to abuse of power.
The head of Rui Hai, Yu Xuewei, received a two year suspended death sentence -- normally commuted to life in prison -- and was fined 700,000 yuan ($103,252) for his role in the disaster.
In the aftermath of the explosions Xinhua described Yu as a former executive at state-owned chemical company Sinochem, and said another of Rui Hai's owners was the son of the former port police chief.
Those connections helped the company get permits despite numerous safety violations, it reported.
The court ruling confirmed the findings of a government report in February, that government bodies in charge of the port, up to ministerial level, routinely ignored or violated laws and regulations on chemical storage.
Corruption is rife in China and causes widespread anger with the ruling Communist party.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|