by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Aug 7, 2012
China has pulled a Beijing newspaper from the newsstands after it criticised the official handling of July floods and said the government had underreported the death toll, a rights group said Tuesday.
Authorities in China's capital have faced strong public criticism over their response to the heaviest rains in more than 60 years, which submerged major highways and killed 79 people at the last official count.
But the government has been quick to censor criticism in state-run media, and Chinese Human Rights Defenders said this week's edition of the Economic Observer had been pulled and the critical article deleted from the paper's website
The article, seen by AFP, focused on three men who were seen on July 21 being washed away by flood waters in Beijing's mountain resort town of Shidu and the subsequent search for them by their family and friends.
The family ordeal was contrasted with repeated statements by the township government that "no one died or was injured" in Shidu.
Without directly accusing the government, the report portrayed officials as seeking to burnish their response to the disaster by downplaying the severity of the situation and cynically refusing to report the numbers of people missing.
An official at the paper, when contacted by AFP, refused to comment on the censorship of the paper except to say there was a "printing problem" with the Monday edition.
The official death toll from the disaster, which hit outlying areas of the city worst, proved a particularly sensitive issue, with many Beijing residents questioning the initial figure of 37 issued the day after the floods.
A report by the Hong Kong-based China Media Project, which monitors censorship in China, said authorities were "moving aggressively" to contain negative coverage of the floods, which has focused on a lack of warning and the inadequacy of drainage systems.
In July, Beijing's propaganda chief Lu Wei told media outlets to stick to stories of "achievements worthy of praise and tears", the Beijing Times daily reported.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
One dead, 26 missing after north India floods
Dehradun, India (AFP) Aug 4, 2012
Flash floods triggered by heavy rains in two mountainous north Indian states have killed one person and left 26 others, mostly power plant workers, missing, officials said Saturday. Nineteen workers were reported missing from a hydroelectric power plant after water gushed into the facility in Uttarakhand state's Uttarkashi region, local administrator R. Rajesh Kumar told AFP. The workers ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|