Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) March 31, 2014
A protest over a proposed chemical plant in a Chinese city turned violent at the weekend, officials said Monday, but added order had been restored and no-one had died.
Pictures posted on Chinese social media purported to show bloodied participants and police in riot gear in Maoming in the southern province of Guangdong.
One image on Sina Weibo, a Chinese equivalent of Twitter, showed a man lying immobile in a pool of blood.
The photos could not be independently verified for authenticity. No other postings on the incident were visible and searches returned a message that "due to relevant laws, regulations and policies" results were not displayed.
In a statement on its website, Maoming city said that citizens demonstrated on Sunday over the PX plant.
PX is an abbreviation for paraxylene, a flammable carcinogenic liquid used to make polyester films and fabrics.
Increasing environmental awareness in China has emboldened citizens to take to the streets in protest against facilities feared to be harmful to health. While authorities are sometimes tolerant, demonstrations are frequently broken up.
The Maoming city statement said the protest began in the morning with the intention of "expressing deep concern" over the proposed factory.
But in the evening small numbers of "troublemakers" threw rocks and water bottles before order was restored.
"No one died during the incident," the statement said. It did not give a figure for how many people participated or provide any details on possible injuries.
Our Polluted World and Cleaning It Up
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|