by Staff Writers
Berlin (AFP) Oct 17, 2012
Climate change played a role in a nearly five-fold jump in weather-related natural disasters in North America over the last 30 years, Munich Re, the world's largest reinsurer, said on Wednesday.
North America saw the world's biggest increase in natural catastrophes between 1980 and 2011, ahead of Asia which had a four-fold rise and ahead of Africa, where such disasters grew 2.5 times, the company said in a study.
"Anthropogenic climate change is believed to contribute to this trend, though it influences various perils in different ways," Munich Re said in a written statement.
"Climate change particularly affects formation of heatwaves, droughts, intense precipitation events, and in the long run most probably also tropical cyclone intensity," it said.
And it said the view that weather extremes were becoming more frequent and intense in various regions due to global warming was in keeping with current scientific findings.
The North American continent is exposed to tropical cyclones, thunderstorms, winter storms, tornadoes, wildfires, drought and flood, it said.
One reason is the lack of an east-west mountain range to separate hot from cold air, it added.
Insured losses from weather catastrophes in North America for the three decades until 2011 came to $510 billion, of which $62.2 billion resulted from Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the costliest US catastrophe ever.
Peter Roeder, Munich Re board member responsible for the US market, said climate change-related increases in hazards were not automatically reflected in premiums and that risk managers should adapt.
"In order to realise a sustainable model of insurance, it is crucially important for us as risk managers to learn about this risk of change and find improved solutions for adaptation but also mitigation," he said in the statement.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
12 Chinese workers killed, 24 hurt in dormitory blaze
Beijing (AFP) Oct 10, 2012
Twelve Chinese construction workers were killed and 24 injured in a fire at their dormitory early Wednesday, state media reported. The blaze broke out at a water-diversion project in Zhouzhi county in the northwestern province of Shaanxi, Xinhua news agency quoted a statement from local authorities as saying. It said two of the injured had been discharged from hospital while the others w ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|