by Staff Writers
Addis Ababa (AFP) March 14, 2017
The death toll from a landslide at Ethiopia's largest rubbish dump reached 72 on Tuesday as the country's parliament declared three days of national mourning, a government minister told AFP.
"The death toll is 72 so far," Communications Minister Negeri Lencho said, adding that rescuers were still searching for survivors and victims' bodies.
Part of the largest hill at the Koshe rubbish dump in the capital Addis Ababa gave way on Saturday, swallowing up a slum that had been built on the trash and burying families alive in their homes.
Most of the dead are women and children.
Rescuers on Tuesday pulled a woman alive from the rubble more than two days after the disaster, said Dagmawit Moges, a spokeswoman for the Addis Ababa city administration.
Starting Wednesday, flags in Ethiopia will fly at half-mast as the country observes three days of mourning for the victims.
The Koshe landfill, the country's largest, has for more than 40 years been the main garbage dump for Addis Ababa.
Hundreds of people lived at the landfill on the outskirts of the capital, collecting recyclables trucked in from neighbourhoods around the city of about four million people.
The government tried last year to close the dump and move it to a different location, but opposition from residents at the new site forced the authorities to back down.
Residents who spoke to AFP blamed the landslide on the construction of a new biogas facility on top of the rubbish.
They claimed the facility had destabilised the hill that makes up the landfill.
Lencho rejected that claim, saying slum dwellers had caused the collapse by digging into the soil to find rubbish to sell.
Addis Ababa (AFP) March 13, 2017
At least 65 people were killed in a giant landslide at Ethiopia's largest rubbish dump this weekend, officials said Monday, in a tragedy that saw entire families including children buried alive. "The rescue operation is still ongoing, security personnel and rescuers are trying their level best" to locate any possible survivors, while searching for the dead, Communication Minister Negeri Lenc ... read more
Our Polluted World and Cleaning It Up
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|