Abuja (AFP) Oct 13, 2009
The junta in Guinea should step down and make way for a new transitional body after the army massacred dozens of opposition protestors, regional and international groups said on Tuesday.
The International Contact Group on Guinea "has called for a new transitional authority in Guinea" which should be "based on the withdrawal" of the 10-month-old ruling junta, it said in a statement.
The group, which comprises regional bodies, the European Union, the United Nations, the African Union and the Organisation of Islamic Conference, said the interim team should aim at a "short peaceful transitional period".
During its tenure in office the team should conduct "credible, free and fair elections in which those holding executive position demonstrate total neutrality throughout the electoral process".
The contact group met in the Nigerian capital Abuja on Monday after which Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua called for an emergency summit of heads of states from 15 west African states to discuss Guinea and Niger.
The extraordinary summit of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is due on Saturday, the deadline set by the African Union's Peace and Security Council for Guinea's junta leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara to re-affirm his commitment to stay out of the presidential election.
Elections are due in January 2010.
International and regional pressure is mounting on Camara to categorically state that neither himself nor any member of his National Council for Democracy and Development (CNDD) would stand in the polls.
If he remains defiant he could face sanctions, according to Nigerian Deputy Foreign Minister Bagudu Hirse.
Camara seized power in December last year after the death of Guinean strongman Lansana Conte, who had ruled the world's top bauxite producer since 1984.
More than 150 people were killed when troops opened fire on opposition demonstrators at a stadium in Guinea's capital Conakry on September 28, according to the UN and rights group. The government says 56 people died.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
ECOWAS ministers in post-massacre talks on Guinea crisis
Abuja (AFP) Oct 12, 2009
The head of West Africa's regional bloc slammed Guinea's military rulers Monday over the "brutal killings of unarmed and defenceless civilians" as ministers met to discuss a response to last month's bloody crackdown on the junta's opponents. Mohamed Ibn Chambas, head of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) said the situation in Guinea is "characterised by arbitrary ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2009 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|