Earth Science News  





. Indonesia tsunami reconstruction body ends Aceh mission

by Staff Writers
Banda Aceh, Indonesia (AFP) April 16, 2009
Indonesia's tsunami reconstruction agency wound up work in Aceh on Thursday, more than four years after deadly waves killed 168,000 people and devastated the province.

The headquarters of the Aceh-Nias reconstruction agency (BRR) was closed in a low-key ceremony, ending its responsibility for one of the largest disaster reconstruction efforts in history.

"We're changing this name plaque because the BRR finishes its mandate today," agency head Kuntoro Mangkusubroto told reporters at the ceremony in Banda Aceh.

"The job of Aceh reconstruction will be carried forward by the Aceh provincial government and six ministries."

The agency has been generally hailed as a rare success in a country renowned for graft and inefficiency, but it leaves behind a number of unfinished projects and concerns that its withdrawal will destabilise the local economy.

Mangkusubroto has acknowledged it had failed to meet the expectations of all victims.

"Building back an Aceh devastated by this disaster is not the same as building real estate because what we have faced here is wreckage and angry people, frustrated people, because their hope is for speedy development," he said earlier this week.

The 2004 tsunami, which killed more than 220,000 people, including in Sri Lanka, Thailand and India, led to an outpouring of international aid.

The BRR says it has allocated 6.7 billion dollars of the 7.2 billion pledged by individuals and governments after the disaster and built over 140,000 homes, 1,759 school buildings, 363 bridges and 13 airports.

But by its own reckoning around 350 families are still living in barracks waiting for housing. A major US-funded highway through some of the worst-hit areas also remains incomplete.

Teuku Achmad Fuad Haikal, the 39-year-old head of a local non-governmental organisation, said he was still waiting for a new home four years after the tsunami swept away his house, his wife and two daughters.

"I haven't got a house up to now even though I've sent a request to the BRR twice," he said.

"But some people have got more than one home, this has to be stopped."

Aceh Governor Irwandi Yusuf said the provincial government will use a special 2009 budget of 1.3 trillion rupiah (120.9 million dollars) to finish any projects the BRR did not complete.

"Indeed there are housing development projects that have been abandoned by contractors, there are those that aren't finished. The remainder will be finished by (local authorities) this year," he said.

Independent aid groups working with the BRR have complained of being forced to pay bribes to local contractors but there has been no official estimate of how much of the international aid money was lost through corruption.

The tsunami sparked peace talks that led to a deal in 2005 between separatist rebels and Jakarta, ending a three-decade war that killed over 15,000 people.

Many demobilised rebels were given jobs in reconstruction projects and there are fears the BRR's closure will fuel discontent and unemployment at a sensitive time in the peace process.

Adding to potential woes is the fact that while aid has transformed tsunami-hit areas, those living in inland districts devastated by the civil war have been left out.

Acehnese political leaders accuse the government in Jakarta of failing to meet its obligations under the peace deal, while some members of the Indonesian military believe the rebels are ready to resume their fight for independence.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes




Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News
Italian authorities warned over quake-zone buildings: report
Rome (AFP) April 16, 2009
Officials in the quake-hit Abruzzo region failed to act on warnings from as far back as 1999 that hundreds of their public buildings were vulnerable to earthquakes, press reports said Thursday.

.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
  



  • Indonesia tsunami reconstruction body ends Aceh mission
  • China punishes 113 for deadly landslide
  • Italian authorities warned over quake-zone buildings: report
  • At least 30 missing in Peru mudslide

  • US environment agency deems CO2 a health risk
  • Catastrophic sea levels 'distinct possibility' this century: study
  • Warming pushes bushed birds to migrate farther: study
  • Analysis: Warming could devastate parks

  • NASA Goddard Orders Second Instrument For GPM Mission
  • Satellites Show Arctic Literally On Thin Ice
  • Angry British villagers stop Google maps car: report
  • Satellite Snow Maps Help Reindeer Herders Adapt To A Changing Arctic

  • China sends more patrols to South China Sea: report
  • Analysis: Niger Delta peace possible?
  • Analysis: Brazil adds find to oil bounty
  • U.S. awards $43M for fuel cell research

  • Drug-resistant TB rampant in ex-USSR, China: study
  • First Broad Spectrum Anti-Microbial Paint To Kill Superbugs
  • Russians quarantined after Chinese woman dies on train
  • Evolution-Proof Insecticides May Stall Malaria Forever

  • Life Out of the Tropics
  • Bacteria thriving beneath Antarctic glacier: study
  • How Life Shatters The Chemistry Mirror
  • Pro-Kremlin groups stage macabre animal circus

  • Vietnam PM halts controversial hotel in park: govt
  • Sofia mayor in 'garbage war' with Bulgaria PM
  • Villa construction frenzy paving Bali paradise
  • Bulgarian PM sets up emergency rubbish cell

  • African pygmy genetics are traced
  • Is There A Seat Of Wisdom In The Brain
  • British woman does 314-foot ocean dive
  • Teeth Of Columbus' Crew Flesh Out Tale Of New World Discovery

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement