Interim leader urges army must back new Guinea president
Conakry (AFP) Dec 16, 2010
Guinea's interim leader Sekouba Konate urged the army to back newly-elected president Alpha Conde on Thursday as he made his final speech to the country's under-fire security forces before stepping down.
"I remind you that the army is apolitical. I invite you therefore to support and accompany the new president in his mission," the general told soldiers, gendarmes and police at Conakry's camp Boiro in a speech carried on state radio and television.
Last month, Conde won what has been hailed as the country's first free and democratic election since independence from France in 1958, closing a chapter on a string of despotic and military regimes.
Violence after the November 15 release of provisional results left at least seven people dead and hundreds injured as security forces cracked down on protests, sparking international condemnation of unnecessary brutality.
Konate said the army, condemned internationally for its brutality in a crackdown on election-related violence as well as the September 2009 massacre of opposition supporters, could now hold its head up high after ushering in democratic elections.
"We have done what we have promised to do, for the first time in the history of our country, which was to give Guineans the chance and the opportunity to freely chose their president," said Konate, a general and former army chief.
"We can raise our head now, everywhere. We have shown that the vast majority of the army has acquired democracy," he said.
But he advised the incoming president nevertheless to "put among his priorities the resolution of problems" in the military.
Konate was made vice-president and minister of defence when the military took power in a 2009 coup after the death of longtime ruler Lansana Conte. Konate eventually took over completely after coup leader Moussa Dadis Camara was left seriously wounded by an assassination attempt.
He became head of an internationally-recognised provisional government in January, tasked with ushering in the elections.
A date for Conde's inauguration has not yet been announced, but is thought likely to take place next week.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
Banjul (AFP) Dec 16, 2010
Gambia rejected Thursday claims that it was the intended recipient of a cargo of weapons from Iran that was intercepted in Nigeria, and accused neighbour Senegal of a campaign of "hatred" over the case. Nigeria last month reported to the UN Security Council its find of 13 containers of weapons, including rockets and grenades, shipped from Iran. The incident is a possible violation of interna ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|