Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
by Staff Writers
Rome (AFP) Aug 04, 2014
The Italian navy said Monday it had rescued over 2,700 migrants from boats attempting to cross the Mediterranean from North Africa over the weekend, and recovered two bodies off the coast of Libya.
"Over 2,700 people were rescued between Friday and Sunday by boats taking part in the 'Mare Nostrum' operation," it said in a statement, referring to a large-scale naval deployment that was begun after twin shipwrecks in October in which over 400 migrants died.
The bodies were recovered on Sunday, the navy said on its Twitter feed, without giving any further details.
Some 93,000 boat immigrants have been plucked from rickety vessels in the Mediterranean since the start of the year, as traffickers take advantage of calm summer seas to make an increasing number of crossing to Europe from Africa.
The recent arrivals include 1,300 people picked up between Friday and Saturday in the Strait of Sicily and transferred on to a frigate, which was transporting them Monday to the port of Taranto in southern Italy.
Another frigate was bringing 227 people -- including 40 women and 95 minors -- to shore, while another 1,200 immigrants are expected to arrive Tuesday in Salerno, south of Naples, the navy said.
More than 20 migrants died and dozens were declared missing last week after their makeshift boat sank off the Libyan coast.
Hundreds of would-be immigrants die in the dangerous crossing every year, while others are detained by Italian police once they reach the southern EU member's territorial waters or the islands of Sicily or Lampedusa.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|