by Staff Writers
Cairo (AFP) Oct 18, 2012
Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi sought on Thursday to reassure the military after a state-owned newspaper reported corruption charges against the two army chiefs he sacked in August.
On Wednesday, the editor of Gomhuria newspaper was suspended after publishing a report saying ex-military chief Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi and chief of staff Sami Enan were barred from travelling because of a corruption probe.
"I reject the newspaper reports about them altogether," said Morsi, while attending a military training exercise in the Sinai.
"As president of the republic I stress the necessity of respecting both incumbent and former leaders of the armed forces," he said in comments carried by the official MENA news agency's English-language service.
Morsi added that he still consulted with Tantawi and Enan, whom he appointed as advisors after removing them in a power struggle with the once ruling military.
The justice ministry opened an investigation this week into allegations against the two over the killings of protesters under military rule, following the ouster of president Hosni Mubarak last year in a popular uprising.
Morsi, the country's first Islamist and civilian president, sacked the two, along with other generals, after a militant attack on a border outpost in the Sinai killed 16 soldiers.
Democracy in the 21st century at TerraDaily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|