by Staff Writers
Manila (AFP) Oct 9, 2011
Philippine authorities said Sunday the death toll from two typhoons that pummelled the country two weeks ago had reached 101, with tens of thousands of people still displaced by massive flooding.
Typhoon Nesat, which struck the main island of Luzon's low-lying agricultural plains, left 82 dead in its wake, while Typhoon Nalgae -- which hit five days later -- killed 19, the Office of Civil Defence said.
Most of those killed fell victim to floods that swept through Luzon's farming towns, while the remainder were either electrocuted by fallen power lines or crushed by debris and landslides.
Twenty-seven remain missing, raising the prospect that the death toll could still rise.
More than 67,000 people remain in evacuation centres across more than 40 provinces in Luzon, most of them in low-lying agricultural areas where rivers and tributaries overflowed with heavy rains.
Social work secretary Corazon Soliman said those displaced were being served in 78 evacuation centres, although tens of thousands more still needed help after deciding to return home to houses still immersed in waist-deep water.
"Affected families are now going home to start anew. Consequently, we are now preparing for their rehabilitation on top of the relief assistance being provided to those still in evacuation centres," Soliman said in a statement.
Officials estimated Saturday that waist-deep floods in several Luzon towns would likely persist for one more month, with an area of low pressure hovering over the country continuing to bring rain.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Philippine typhoon death toll reaches 82
Manila (AFP) Oct 6, 2011
The death toll from back-to-back typhoons that pummelled the Philippines last week has reached 82, the government said Thursday. Several towns on the main island of Luzon were flooded by Typhoon Nesat, which struck on September 27 and by Typhoon Nalgae five days later. The previous death toll for the two typhoons was 58. The figure climbed dramatically after the bodies of people reported ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|