Earth Science News  





.
WATER WORLD
Palestinians urge water strategy

by Staff Writers
Vouliagmeni, Greece (AFP) Oct 22, 2010
Palestinian prime minister Salam Fayaad on Friday called on the international community to help find a solution to the difficult access to water in the occupied territories.

More should be done for the Palestinians to have access to the available resources respecting international rules on the sharing of water resources, Fayaad said after Mediterranean countries signed a declaration on the fight against climate change in the region.

"Obviously, this is a challenge, an effort that must be made within the framework of the political process to settle the problem but a solution must be found to make water more available" for the Palestinians, he said.

Fayaad said that "less than 10 percent of the (Palestinian) population has access to drinking water in Gaza".

"Israel takes 90 percent of the water and leaves us with only 10 percent," he added.

"Our situation is particularly difficult, our problems are real, water consumption is below the average recommended by the World Health Organization."

The regional conference on climate change in the Mediterranean which is also attended by Israel was called at the invitation of Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou ahead of a UN summit in Cancun November 29 to December 10.




Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Water News - Science, Technology and Politics



Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News
WATER WORLD
Chile mulls industry's water footprint
Santiago, Chile (UPI) Oct 21, 2010
Chile's industrial advancement has been achieved at some cost to the country's freshwater resources but it's only now that awareness of the impending crisis has led to calls for action, environmentalist campaigners said. Chilean campaigners for a more intelligent and less destructive use of freshwater resources by industry are being helped by the Water Footprint Network, a non-profit or ... read more

.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
  


WATER WORLD
DHS Conducts Nationwide ID Authentication Test For Emergency Preparedness

System Would Help Haiti Modify Earthquake-Prone Structures

DLR Becomes A Member Of The International Charter Space And Major Disasters

Seven million still lack shelter after Pakistan floods: UN

WATER WORLD
China protecting strategic interests with rare earths policy

NASA Open Government Summit Emphasized Data Exchange

HP unveils 'Slate 500' tablet computer for professionals

Japan's rare earth minerals may run out by March: govt

WATER WORLD
Palestinians urge water strategy

US commits 275 mln dlrs to improve Jordan water

Climate Change May Alter Natural Climate Cycles Of Pacific

Chile mulls industry's water footprint

WATER WORLD
Susitna Glacier, Alaska

US warns of record Arctic warming

UBC Underwater Robot To Explore Ice-Covered Ocean And Antarctic Ice Shelf

Crew circles North Pole in one summer

WATER WORLD
Human Activities Overload Ecosystems With Nitrogen

Farmland the size of Italy lost each year: UN report

No cloned steaks on EU plates

Canada to sell potash to China for 2.2 billion dollars

WATER WORLD
Thousands evacuated as Typhoon Megi closes in on China

Two dozen missing in Taiwan as Typhoon Megi heads for China

California braces for the Big One, with fake quake

Tropical storm 'expected to intensify' in Caribbean

WATER WORLD
Zambia president defends China after mine shooting

Chinese bosses 'mistakenly' shot Zambia protesters: Beijing

Niger holds three officers for plot against regime

Ethiopia signs peace agreement with rebel faction

WATER WORLD
How Genes Are Selectively Silenced

Study predicts women in power, Muslims heading West

Baby born from embryo frozen 19 years

'Missing link' fossil debated by science


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement