. Earth Science News .

Philippine quake survivors beg for search help
by Staff Writers
La Libertad, Philippines (AFP) Feb 8, 2012

Survivors of a deadly quake in the Philippines begged rescuers Wednesday to keep searching for dozens of people buried in landslides, but officials said hopes of finding them alive were dim.

Two days after a 6.7-magnitude quake flattened homes, destroyed bridges and crumbled mountainsides on the central island of Negros, rescue workers battled without heavy equipment to dig through rubble in the search for the missing.

"Please do not give up, please continue searching," 47-year-old housewife Virginsita Magalso sobbed, her face streaked with dirt, as rescuers picked through mounds of dirt that covered the homes of family and friends.

"We can still save them, miracles happen all the time."

Magalso said her 68-year-old mother, an older brother, his wife, and their two young children were among those buried when part of a hill collapsed on homes in the farming community of La Libertad on Negros.

Magalso's house was further down the slope, sparing her direct family certain death, she said.

The official death toll from Monday's quake was 26, with 71 others missing from farming communities that had been engulfed by landslides in La Libertad and the nearby city of Guihulngan.

"Rescue teams have so far not seen or heard any signs of life underneath," Guihulngan mayor Ernesto Reyes told AFP, adding 29 people were believed buried in one disaster-hit village.

"None of our missing have so far been retrieved."

Reyes said the mountain village in Guihulngan was buried under about 10 metres (30 feet) of debris, with rescue efforts painfully slow because people had only picks, shovels and their bare hands to claw through the dirt.

Roads and bridges to Guihulngan, a coastal city of about 100,000 flanked by mountains, were badly damaged in the quake, meaning rescuers had difficulties bringing in earth movers and supplies for survivors.

"Our immediate concern now is how to serve the living. We don't have enough food, there is no electricity and water," Reyes said.

"We are appealing for help from everyone."

Civil defence chief Benito Ramos said in Manila that five military battalions, or about 2,000 troops, had been deployed to the devastated zones and were helping local rescue units.

"We are racing against time, and hoping against hope that maybe, just maybe some of them might still be alive," he said.

At least two mechanical diggers (backhoes) and several chainsaws and drills had reached La Libertad by noon Wednesday, but other areas remained cut off, according to Ramos.

Roel Degamo, the governor of Negros Oriental province where the worst of the damage occurred, said the likelihood of finding anyone alive was very low.

"We are in a state of shock, and all we can do now for those still missing is to pray," Degamo told AFP.

He said soldiers and rescuers in La Libertad raced on Tuesday to find a young woman who had sent a mobile phone text message to her relatives that she was pinned down, but alive.

The search, however, ended in tears hours later.

"She was found dead and still clutching her cell phone," Degamo said.

The regional military commander with responsibility for the disaster zone, Colonel Francisco Patrimonio, reported on Tuesday that 48 people had died, and another 92 were missing.

But the army said in a statement on Wednesday that the confirmed number of deaths was just 26, blaming initial confusion in the quake-hit areas for the change in numbers.

The revised tally matches figures from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, the overall emergency response agency.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest

Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

Philippine military revises down quake toll
Manila (AFP) Feb 8, 2012 - The Philippine Army revised down its confirmed death toll from a powerful quake this week to 26, with 71 still missing.

The regional military commander in the central Philippines with responsibility for the area where Monday's quake struck, Colonel Francisco Patrimonio, had reported that 48 people died, and another 92 were missing.

But the army said in a statement that the confirmed number of deaths was 26, blaming confusion in the disaster zone for the change in numbers.

It said the military's new figures were the same as those of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council in Manila, the overall emergency response agency.


. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Scant hope for Philippine quake missing
Guihulngan, Philippines (AFP) Feb 8, 2012
Thousands of soldiers in the quake-hit Philippines Tuesday scoured villages buried under landslides, but authorities said hopes of finding dozens of missing people alive were dim. Two days after a 6.7 magnitude quake flattened homes, destroyed bridges and triggered deadly landslides in the central island of Negros, rescuers had yet to find anyone alive among at least 92 people reported missi ... read more

Japan passes $33 bln fourth extra budget

UN aims for major cut in peacekeeping bill

Fukushima's temperature rise stabilized

Amazon in streaming video deal with Viacom

Home security cameras exposed images

3D printer creates new jaw for woman

Phobos Crash Test Dismisses U.S. Link

Yangtze river pollution sparks panic in China

Water group Suez strives to overcome Australian problem

First plants caused ice ages

Russia drills down to pristine Antarctic Lake: scientists

Land-cover changes do not impact glacier loss

Romania's incoming agriculture minister slammed for GM links

Electron-beam irradiation reduces virus-related health risk in lettuce and spinach

Brazil to lead world in biotech crops: association

Consumers Willing to Buy Sustainable US Cotton

Scant hope for Philippine quake missing

Philippine quake survivors beg for search help

Philippine rescuers search for quake survivors

Flood fears ease in Australia as clean-up begins

Explosion rocks military barracks in northern Nigeria

S.Africa's strike-hit Kruger Park to hire retired rangers


Memory Foam Mattress Review

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement