by Staff Writers
Manila (AFP) Oct 6, 2011
The death toll from back-to-back typhoons that pummelled the Philippines last week has reached 82, the government said Thursday.
Several towns on the main island of Luzon were flooded by Typhoon Nesat, which struck on September 27 and by Typhoon Nalgae five days later.
The previous death toll for the two typhoons was 58. The figure climbed dramatically after the bodies of people reported missing earlier were confirmed dead, the civil defence office said.
Another 25 people remain unaccounted for, according to the office. More than half the victims drowned, it said, with others dying from accidents related to the typhoons.
Meteorologists said Nesat and Nalgae were the most powerful storms this year to hit the Philippines, which endures an estimated 20 typhoons annually.
Nesat triggered dramatic storm surges in the capital Manila, while its massive rain band caused flooding across Luzon's agricultural plains that forced people on to their roofs.
Nalgae's subsequent rains compounded the emergency situation for about 1.5 million people across Luzon, more than 270,000 of whom remained in evacuation centres on Thursday.
Water as high as 12 feet (3.6 metres) swamped dozens of towns across Luzon's fertile rice growing central region, stranding residents on their roofs or the upper floors of their homes for a week before they started subsiding.
The civil defence office said some areas remained flooded with knee-deep water Thursday and relief operations were continuing, although the worst of the crisis was over.
The damage bill for infrastructure and agriculture has reached 9.5 billion pesos ($222.1 million), the office said.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Second tropical storm hits southern China
Beijing (AFP) Oct 4, 2011
Torrential rain lashed southern China on Tuesday as tropical storm Nalgae made landfall after wreaking havoc in the Philippines, state media said. Some parts of the south are still reeling from the damage caused by tropical storm Nesat, which killed at least four people in China, forced the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of residents, triggered floods and toppled houses. Nalgae, whi ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|