by Staff Writers
Manila (AFP) Dec 01, 2013
About a thousand traumatised survivors of the Philippines' deadliest typhoon fled their homes in one central province following false rumours of a tsunami, civil defence officials said Sunday.
Officials in the province of Antique were visiting upland villages where people had fled overnight to convince them there was no danger and it was safe to return to their coastal homes, said Broderick Train, the civil defence chief for the province.
"These are people who have been traumatised by their experience with Typhoon (Haiyan). When the false information began spreading yesterday they immediately fled," he told AFP in a telephone interview.
He said the provincial government was trying to convince them to return home as there had been no earthquake to trigger a tsunami.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said it had not recorded any big earthquakes over the weekend and had not issued any tsunami alert.
Train said officials had yet to find out who spread the false alert that triggered evacuations in the small coastal towns of Laua-an, Culasi, Sebaste, Barbaza, Tibiao and Pandan.
"I would say there are about a thousand people who fled their homes overnight," Train said.
Leck Benitez, spokesman for Antique's Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, told AFP it was likely criminals had spread the rumours by mobile telephone text messages.
"When people leave their homes they become targets for break-ins," Benitez added.
Benitez said the towns where evacuations were reported had been hard-hit by Haiyan, which struck the central Philippines on November 8 with winds of up to 315 kilometres (195 miles) an hour.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said the typhoon, along with tsunami-like storm surges that struck the central islands of Samar and Leyte, killed at least 5,632 people, with 1,759 others still missing.
This made Haiyan the deadliest typhoon in Philippine history, and one of the worst natural disasters on record.
Antique province accounted for 13 of those deaths, the council said in its latest tally.
The typhoon and the storm surges wrecked more than 1.1 million homes, and left more than four million people needing emergency assistance.
The Philippine government said Saturday rebuilding areas devastated by Haiyan would take up to five years and cost more than $2 billion.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|