by Staff Writers
Lisbon (AFP) June 18, 2017
A huge forest fire in central Portugal killed at least 24 people and injured 20 others Saturday, most of them burning to death in their cars, the government said.
Around 500 firefighters and 160 vehicles were dispatched to tackle the blaze, which broke out in the afternoon in the municipality of Pedrogao Grande before spreading.
"What we are seeing is a great tragedy. For the moment, 24 deaths are confirmed, but the number of fatalities could still rise," Prime Minister Antonio Costa said at the Civil Protection headquarters near Lisbon.
"The priority now is to get the ongoing fire under control -- after that we must understand what happened," he said.
Secretary of State for the Interior Jorge Gomes earlier said all 19 of the people then confirmed dead were civilians.
"Three of them died from smoke inhalation and 16 burned to death in their cars when they found themselves trapped by flames on the road from Figueiro dos Vinhos to Castanheira de Pera," Gomes told journalists.
Fourteen civilians were injured, 10 of them seriously, along with six firefighters, he added.
The flames spread "with great violence", moving out on four fronts, he said.
Several villages were affected by the blaze but Gomes was not immediately able to comment on the extent of the damage caused.
President Marcelo Rebelo went to the Leiria region to meet families of the victims, "sharing their pain in the name of all the Portuguese people," he said.
Firefighters did "all they could" when faced with the blaze, he added.
Portugal was sweltering under a severe heatwave Saturday, with temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) in several regions.
The country was hit by a series of fires last year which devastated more than 100,000 hectares (1,000 square kilometres) of the mainland.
Fires on the tourist island of Madeira in August killed three people, while over the course of 2016 around 40 homes were destroyed and 5,400 hectares of land burned.
Fengxian, China (AFP) June 16, 2017
The blast that killed eight people and injured dozens outside a kindergarten in eastern China was triggered by a makeshift bomb whose maker was among the dead, authorities said Friday. The public security ministry said in a statement that the suspect was a 22-year-old man with health problems who rented a room near the kindergarten in Fengxian, where Thursday's blast occurred. Police fou ... read more
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|