Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) May 4, 2012
South Korea on Friday started work on two new nuclear reactors despite fears over safety in the aftermath of the radioactive disaster in Japan last year.
The reactors, each with a capacity of 1,400 megawatts, are being built at existing nuclear power plants near Uljin on the east coast, the Ministry of Knowledge Economy said.
The government plans to spend seven trillion won ($6.18 billion) to build the New Uljin 1 and 2 reactors. The first is expected to be online around April 2017 and the second by February 2018.
"Safety has been drastically strengthened as all recommendations for enhancing safety that were made after the Fukushima disaster have been reflected in the design," the ministry said in a statement.
New features include devices that automatically shut down reactors at times of quakes, mobile electricity generators and gas-removing facilities that can operate even during a power failure.
The ministry said the new pressurised reactors will be the first models using purely locally developed key parts and systems.
International environmental group Greenpeace, a vocal critic of the country's nuclear power programme, said it was ironic that South Korea started building two new reactors on the eve of Tokyo shutting down its own reactors.
Japan is scheduled to be nuclear-free Saturday when the last of its 50 reactors goes offline temporarily for maintenance.
"It is unbelievable that on the day before Japan closes all its reactors, President Lee (Myung-Bak) is going in the other direction -- building two new ones in Korea," Lee Hee-Song, a Greenpeace campaign leader in Seoul, said in a statement.
"It is clear that Korea has learned little from the Fukushima disaster, where hundreds of thousands of people are continuing to suffer the consequences."
South Korea relies on 21 nuclear reactors to meet about 35 percent of its electricity needs. It plans to build 11 more, including those started Friday, by 2020.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|