by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Jan 7, 2012
Howard Stringer, the Welsh-born American head of Japanese games, music and electronics giant Sony, is to step down as the firm's president, reports said Saturday, while remaining CEO and chairman.
The move puts his reported successor Kazuo Hirai, a games and music veteran who is currently executive deputy president, in pole position to ultimately take over at the top of the company.
Sony is planning a drastic restructuring under Hirai to try to return to profit, the Nikkei economic daily said, pointing out the group is braced to report its fourth consecutive annual loss for the year ending in March.
Sony has been mired in the red with its television business losing money. It has been hit by a strong yen, hacker attacks on its PlayStation Network, and both Japan's earthquake-tsunami disaster and floods in Thailand last year.
Stringer became chairman and chief executive in 2005 as the first foreign chief at Sony, and added the presidency to his roles in 2009.
The 69-year-old has dismissed speculation that he will be stepping down at the end of the company's fiscal year.
Jiji Press news agency said he had decided to shed the post of president because of the unusual concentration of power in him holding the company's top three positions.
Hirai, 51, has spent most of his career at Sony in videogames, movies, music and other software businesses, playing a major role in developing the PlayStation in the 1990s.
He was promoted to deputy president in April last year in a move seen by analysts as signalling a greater focus on pushing content to multiple hardware platforms such as game consoles, smartphones and tablet computers.
Stringer said last year that Hirai was an "obvious candidate" to succeed him as Sony's leader.
The company would not confirm the reports on Saturday, saying in a statement that "nothing has been determined at this time".
Global Trade News
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
China's trade surplus shrinks in 2011
Shanghai (AFP) Jan 5, 2012
China's trade surplus narrowed 12.6 percent to around $160 billion in 2011, the commerce minister said Thursday, as the world's number two economy was hit by weaker demand from key export markets. The drop from a 2010 trade surplus of $183 billion came after a year of economic turmoil that has seen a rebound in the United States and Europe slow down sharply. Commerce Minister Chen Deming ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|