by Staff Writers
Oslo (AFP) March 27, 2013
Norwegian rescuers said on Wednesday they had called off efforts to find three people presumed dead in two avalanches a day earlier in Norway's far north.
"Our decision can be explained by two parallel reasons: firstly, we have no hope of finding the missing people alive, and secondly, it's not possible to carry out a search in the current conditions," operations chief Oeyvind Aadee at the Bodoe rescue centre said.
The three presumed victims are in their 30s and from the Senja region. They were on a local snowmobile excursion when they were swept away by two avalanches in quick succession on Tuesday afternoon.
Search and rescue teams had to suspend their efforts to find the trio on Tuesday evening due to poor weather and the risk of more avalanches.
Only a helmet and a snowmobile were found in the snow.
Authorities have raised the avalanche warning level to 4 in parts of northern Norway, where five people have died in avalanches in just a few days.
It's A White Out at TerraDaily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|