by Staff Writers
Geneva (AFP) July 20, 2011
The United Nations on Wednesday sought $500 million more in aid funding for 2011 as serious drought hit the Horn of Africa, bringing the total sum needed for 31 countries to $7.9 billion for the year.
"The most worrying development is the intensifying drought in the Horn of Africa," said UN aid chief Valerie Amos as she launched the mid-year review of its 2011 humanitarian appeal.
Major parts of several countries were already at the "crisis stage of food availability, nutrition, and livestock survival", the UN added.
An estimated 11.5 million in the drought-stricken areas are already in need of aid, but "the number of people needing assistance will increase over the coming months," said Amos.
Earlier Wednesday, the UN officially declared famine in two parts of southern Somalia.
The UN children's agency stressed that this is "a children's famine".
"I guess that a figure of many thousands of deaths have taken place," said UNICEF's deputy director of emergency operations, Dermot Carty, when asked how many Somali children have died in the last month.
He pointed out however that given the security situation and limited access to southern Somalia, it was difficult to be precise about the toll.
The UNICEF official added that the agency was particularly concerned about 310,000 children who are suffering from severe acute malnutrition.
"This is the most worrying feature, children with severe acute malnutrition are children that are facing imminent death unless we take immediate action, and immediate action is action today," he said.
To help the millions of people hit in drought-affected Horn of Africa, the UN food agency FAO said it needed $120 million from the overall UN appeal.
The revised appeal is aimed at helping 50 million people and also takes into account new needs arising from crises such as the conflict in Libya and the unrest in Yemen.
It also includes funding necessary to assist the world's newest country, South Sudan.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
At least 25 killed during Nigerian military raid: Amnesty
Lagos (AFP) July 15, 2011
At least 25 people were killed during a Nigerian military raid after a bomb blast blamed on Islamists and many others have been reported missing, a statement from Amnesty International said Friday. The statement referred to an incident last weekend in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, which has seen a wave of attacks attributed to an Islamist sect known as Boko Haram and where hundreds of ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|