by Staff Writers
United Nations (AFP) Oct 14, 2011
The Security Council Friday ordered a cut in the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti and demanded strict enforcement of a "zero tolerance" policy on sexual abuse after a rape case involving Uruguayan troops.
The reduction to about 10,500 soldiers and police will be carried out in the next 12 month mandate which was unanimously approved by the 15-nation council.
The United Nations believes numbers can be cut because of an improved political situation in the impoverished Caribbean state since a new president and prime minister took office.
The mission, officially known as MINUSTAH (United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti) will now be allowed 7,340 troops and 3,241 police.
The figure would be 2,750 troops and police below the current numbers.
The troops to be withdrawn will all be in the security field. Priority will be given now to engineering duties, helping the clear-up after the January 2010 earthquake which killed more than 200,000 people.
The UN said this week that barely 40 percent of the estimated 10 million cubic meters of rubble from the quake has been cleared so far.
With the number of UN peacekeepers on duty around the world now at a record 120,000, new peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said Thursday the department would have to look to make reductions. Ivory Coast, Liberia and East Timor could also see cuts in UN deployments.
The Haiti operation was hit by a scandal this year over a group of Uruguayan troops alleged to have raped a Haitian youth.
The Security Council resolution commended the mission's efforts and paid tribute to UN staff who died in the Haiti quake.
But it also called on UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon "to continue to take the necessary measures to ensure full compliance of all MINUSTAH personnel with the United Nations zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse."
It also said countries contributing troops must "ensure that acts involving their personnel are properly investigated and punished."
Five Uruguayan troops have been jailed by a military court on charges of disobeying orders and dereliction of duty, and Uruguayan President Jose Mujica has apologized to Haiti for the "outrage."
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
UN to reduce Haiti mission, peacekeepers at record high
United Nations (AFP) Oct 13, 2011
The United Nations aims to cut back its peacekeeping force in Haiti this year as the number of blue-helmet troops around the world hits a record of more than 120,000, officials said Thursday. The new head of UN peacekeeping, Herve Ladsous, said the cutback was not linked to the sexual assault and cholera scandals that have hit the Haiti mission, known as MINUSTAH, this year. The UN Secur ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|