by Staff Writers
Johannesburg (AFP) July 1, 2011
The state's lead witness in the trial for the shooting of Rwanda's exiled former army chief broke down Friday describing how he feared for his family's lives after the failed hit in South Africa.
Rwandan national Kalisa Mubarak told the court he fled Johannesburg after the June 19, 2010 shooting of former top general Faustin Nyamwasa, which he believes his friend helped arrange.
The friend, Rwandan national Amani Uriwani, is one of six men standing trial for the shooting. The accused -- three Rwandans and three Tanzanians -- deny the charges.
Mubarak, who is now in a witness protection programme, has testified that his friend Uriwani had told him about his involvement in a plan by Rwandan soldiers with lots of cash and cars "to shoot at a military person".
He told the court Friday that when he learned Nyamwasa had been shot, he phoned Uriwani and said, "Do you see what you've done?"
"He said 'Please Mubarak, don't tell anyone'," he said of his friend's reaction.
"He was just like very scared."
Mubarak said he later returned home and found Uriwani and another person waiting there, in a white Nissan truck with no license plates.
"I see that maybe I can be killed to not show the evidence," he told the court.
Mubarak described fleeing to Cape Town after the shooting, then returning to Johannesburg and hopping from hotel to hotel, worrying his life was in danger.
He broke down on the witness stand telling how he feared for his pregnant wife, lifting the dark sunglasses he has worn throughout his testimony to wipe his eyes with a scarf.
Mubarak said after he helped police find and arrest Uriwani, five gunmen attacked his beauty salon in Johannesburg.
The trial will resume on October 24 and run through November 4, when defence attorneys will cross-examine Mubarak.
Nyamwasa, a former key ally of Rwandan President Paul Kagame, fled to South Africa in February after abandoning his post as Rwanda's envoy to India amid accusations of corruption.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Tanzania says Serengeti highway project still on
Dar Es Salaam (AFP) June 30, 2011
Tanzania still plans to build a highway through the iconic Serengeti park, a minister said Thursday, contradicting an announcement by UNESCO that the project had been abandoned. "The government will continue with the project, but leave out 120 kilometres (in the park) as gravel. Gravel road will not have a big impact on wildlife," Tourism and Natural Resources Minister Ezekiel Maige told r ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|