. Earth Science News .

Workers at Japan nuclear plant recall tsunami desperation
by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Dec 3, 2011

Moderate quake hits near Tokyo
Tokyo (AFP) Dec 3, 2011 - A moderate 5.3-magnitude earthquake hit Japan early Saturday, but there was no tsunami warning and no immediate reports of damage, officials said.

The quake hit 5:55 am (2055 GMT) in Chiba prefecture, around 60 kilometres (40 miles) southeast of Tokyo, at a depth of 18 kilometres, according to the US Geological Survey.

The quake only affected Chiba and areas near Tokyo, more than 200 kilometres away from the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

There was no danger of a tsunami resulting from the quake, the Japanese agency said.

The embattled operator of Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant has released workers' accounts of the desperate moments surrounding the huge earthquake and tsunami that triggered an atomic crisis.

At a hearing into the March disaster, a chief operator described how he realised disaster had hit when lights flickered and went out, including those on the control panels, according to an interim report released Friday by the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO).

"I came to realise a tsunami had hit the site as one of the workers rushed into the room, shouting 'Sea water is gushing in!'", the unnamed chief operator was quoted as saying.

"I felt totally at a loss after losing power sources," he said. "Other workers appeared anxious. They argued, and one asked: 'Is there any reason for us to be here when there is nothing we can do to control (the reactors)?'"

"I bowed and begged them to stay."

The 9.0-magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami on March 11 paralysed electrical and cooling systems at the nuclear power plant, triggering the world's worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl 25 years ago.

Friday's interim report was the first to detail testimonies from workers, who were hailed as heroes in the weeks following the accident as they took extreme health risks to try to prevent a worse nuclear disaster.

They described attempts to release pressure from a reactor container by manually opening a ventilation valve.

"We put on the full protection gear but couldn't possibly let young workers do the task, as we had to go into an area where the radiation levels were high," one worker recalled.

"When I got to the place to open the valve, I heard eerie, deep popping noise from the torus (a donut-shaped structure at the bottom of the reactor)," he said.

"When I put one of my feet on the torus to reach the valve, my black rubber boot melted and slipped (due to the heat)."

The operators also spoke of dismal working conditions as they battled to stabilise the crippled plant.

"We experienced big aftershocks, and many times we had to run up a hill in desperation (fearing a tsunami) with the full-face mask still on," one worker said.

Another worker spoke of the race to lay power cables and bring back the supply of electricity, saying: "We finished the work (in one section) in several hours, although it usually requires one month or two."

"It was an operation we had to do in puddles, fearing electrification," the worker said.

Explosions and fires at the plant unleashed dangerous levels of radiation, forcing TEPCO to pull out hundreds of workers, leaving just a few dozen behind.

Those workers earned the nickname "the Fukushima Fifty", but that number eventually swelled again by thousands, including technicians sent from partners such as Toshiba and Hitachi.

They were tasked with keeping cooling water flowing into the six reactors at the plant, three of which eventually overheated and experienced meltdowns.

Despite a series of setbacks in the past nine months, the Japanese government and TEPCO say they remain on track to declare a cold shutdown later this month, about a month earlier than initially planned.

The atomic accident has not directly claimed any lives but has left tens of thousands of people displaced and rendered whole towns uninhabitable because of radiation, possibly for decades. The quake-tsunami killed about 20,000 people.

In a recent interview with AFP, Goshi Hosono, state minister in charge of nuclear accident settlement and prevention, hailed the plant workers for their battle to tame the crippled reactors.

"It was the emergency workers at the plant who have contributed to it the most," he said. "We are finally seeing the goal of cold shutdown in sight. The workers' efforts must be highly applauded."

But Hosono, when he visited the plant last month, also cautioned that 30 years' work remained to be done to dismantle the machinery.

Last month, then Fukushima Daiichi plant chief Masao Yoshida told state broadcaster NHK: "In the first week immediately after the accident I thought a few times 'I'm going to die.'"

Referring to a hydrogen explosion that tore apart the buildings around rectors 1 and 3, he said: "I thought it was all over."

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

Japan looks to giant washer to clean Fukushima debris
Tokyo (AFP) Dec 2, 2011 - Japan is looking to launder tsunami debris in a giant washing machine to get rid of radiation from the Fukushima nuclear accident, a researcher said Friday.

In a scheme they hope will result in finally being able to dispose of contaminated waste left by the waves that crushed towns on the country's northeast coast, a cleaning plant will be built near the Fukushima Daiichi power station.

Shredded waste -- including the remains of houses and cars destroyed by the tsunami -- will be put inside a huge water-filled drum where steel attachments will scrub away radioactive particles, the researcher told AFP.

The plan is a joint scheme between Tokyo-based construction company Toda Corp. and the Japan Atomic Energy Agency.

"We, as a general contractor, have experience of cleaning soil and hope that we will eventually be able to decontaminate soil as well as debris," said a research at Toda Corp, who asked not to be named.

He said researchers will experiment with pure water and detergents to find the best way to decontaminate the waste and hope to be able to recycle the water using a series of filters.

In an initial test they will use a tub 120 centimetres (four feet) long and plan to install multiple washing drums three times larger than that once the project fully launches, he said.

Large areas around the Fukushima plant have been left contaminated with radiation since the tsunami of March 11 knocked out its cooling systems and sent reactors into meltdown.

The world's worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl has not directly claimed any lives, but has left tens of thousands of people displaced and rendered whole towns uninhabitable, possibly for decades.

The radiation that has leaked from the crippled reactors has contaminated the waste left behind by the tsunami, complicating the clean-up operation.

The Japanese government and plant operator Tokyo Electric Power have pledged to bring the reactors to a state of cold shutdown by the end of the year.

Government planners have said radiation-contaminated debris could be stored in a facility in Fukushima prefecture for at least 30 years until its final destination is determined.


. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Japan meltdown maybe worse than thought: report
Tokyo (AFP) Dec 1, 2011
Molten nuclear fuel at Japan's Fukushima plant might have eaten two thirds of the way through a concrete containment base, its operator said, citing a new simulation of the extent of the March disaster. Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) said their latest calculations showed the fuel inside the No. 1 reactor at the tsunami-hit plant could have melted entirely, dropping through its inner casing and ... read more

Web helps Bangkok's flood-hit pets find relief

Workers at Japan nuclear plant recall tsunami desperation

Swiss Re estimates Thai floods cost at $600 mn

Fresh radioactive runoff at Japan plant

Japan baby formula shows radiation contamination

Dell abandons Android tablet in US

Smartphone snooping sparks lawsuits and denials

Microsoft adds voice search to Xbox Live

Australian fish adapts to hotter waters: study

Danube's near-record lows strangle shipping

Mekong nations to meet on controversial Laos dam

From curses to sacrifices, S.Africa's deadly shark puzzle

Scientists confirm Himalayan glacial melting

Simultaneous ice melt in Antarctic and Arctic

'Record-setting' change in warming Arctic: report

Drop in carbon dioxide levels led to polar ice sheet

Plant seeds protect their genetic material against dehydration

Massive roof farm planned for Berlin

World Grain Production Down, But Recovering

Using Radiation to Sterilize Insect Pests

No end to eruptions at Ecuador's Tungurahua volcano

Hundreds of houses collapse in China quake

Thailand floods a 'wake-up' call for Asia: ADB

Pakistan most affected by climate change

Tough hunt for Lord's Resistance Army in central Africa

Liberia's Nobel Peace Laureate holds peace jamboree

S. Sudan battles to transform guerrilla army

Blair highlights China's role in aid for Africa

Lighting the way to understanding the brain

Making Collective Wisdom Wiser

Scientists Uncover New Role for Gene in Maintaining Steady Weight

Malaysia tribes struggle with modern problems


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement