Earth News from TerraDaily.com
Drought pushes 26 million southern Africans into food insecurity
Johannesburg, Dec 4 (AFP) Dec 04, 2024
A historic drought across southern Africa has pushed 26 million people into food insecurity, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) warned Wednesday, calling for urgent funding.

The crisis, worsened by the 2023-2024 El Nino climate phenomenon, is expected to deepen until at least the next harvests due in March or April next year.

"Today we have up to 26 million people facing acute food insecurity in the region and this is because of El Nino induced drought," said Eric Perdison, regional director for southern Africa at the WFP.

The seven worst affected nations were Angola, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe, Perdison added.

Those need an additional $300 million to tackle the crisis., according to the WFP.

Five countries -- Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe -- have declared a state of national disaster in the past months as the drought has destroyed scores of crops and livestock.

In many places, farmers who would normally be planting seeds at this time of the year, are not able to do so.

In Malawi, the WFP said it has had to import food to provide assistance due to the shortages.

"Nearly half the maize crops were damaged by El Nino drought earlier this year," said the group's representative in the country, Paul Turnbull.

Despite Zambia being "known as the food basket of southern Africa", the country "stands at the brink of a hunger crisis," said WFP's country director Cissy Kabasuuga.

In Namibia, an upper middle-income country, the situation was also dire.

"All 14 regions were impacted by the drought, of which there are some that have very worrying levels (of food insecurity) and that's a very worrying situation for Namibia," said WFP's Tiwonge Machiwenyika.

US President Joe Biden on Tuesday during a trip to the region announced a $1 billion humanitarian aid package to 31 African countries, including for people affected by the drought.





Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning


ADVERTISEMENT



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.