by Staff Writers
Kathmandu (AFP) May 12, 2016
Quake-hit Nepal announced Thursday that its long-delayed reconstruction programme would cost 25 percent more than earlier estimated, as millions continue to live in temporary shelters a year after the disaster.
Nearly 9,000 people lost their lives when a 7.8-magnitude earthquake ripped through the Himalayan nation in April 2015, destroying more than half a million homes and prompting the government to peg recovery costs at $6.7 billion.
But Nepal's National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) on Thursday said its five-year recovery plan would now cost $8.4 billion after an ongoing survey of damaged buildings revealed more destruction than earlier estimated.
"The increase was because (early estimates said)... that the completely damaged households would be around 500,000, but that has increased now," said NRA chief Sushil Gyewali.
Gyewali told reporters it would also cost more to build quake-resistant schools than previous estimates had suggested.
In the weeks following the disaster, the world rallied to help the desperately poor country rebuild, promising $4.1 billion in aid.
But delays in setting up the NRA and formulating a reconstruction plan has seen Nepal's government sign deals to receive just $2.3 billion so far, around half the amount pledged.
Stung by criticism, the government has vowed to kickstart the reconstruction of schools and hospitals and speed up the distribution of the first $500 instalment of a $2,000 payout promised to millions of homeless victims.
An estimated four million people are still living in sub-standard temporary shelters, according to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|