Water cut off in Abidjan's 'human tragedy': UN
Geneva (AFP) April 8, 2011
Water supplies have been entirely cut off in Abidjan for four days with Ivory Coast's main city locked in a human tragedy, a UN aid official there told AFP on Friday.
Nonetheless, Carlos Geha, the representative of the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Ivory Coast, said that a lull in the fighting appeared to have taken hold during the day.
"Abidjan is a human tragedy," he explained by telephone from the embattled city.
"People just weren't prepared for a battle that is lasting as long as this," Geha added.
"Water has been cut for four days now in Abidjan. Throughout the city, it started area by area."
"In some areas, Abobo, they haven't had water since the beginning of the crisis. Since Saturday or Sunday there hasn't been any water. It is still cut."
Geha said people had not been able to stock up with food and supplies in time, while most shops had been looted.
"The price of bread, cigarettes, a bag of wheat has tripled... everything has tripled over the past 48 hours, since there has been a lull," he added.
Troops loyal to the internationally recognised president Alassane Ouattara have cornered veteran strongman Gbagbo in his bunker in the west African nation's main city, but Gbagbo has refused to surrender power.
Geha said he managed to venture out onto the streets of Abidjan for the first time in days on Friday, a day after Ouattara announced the blockade of Gbagbo's residence and appealed for national reconciliation.
The UN aid offocial said he even went out once "alone by car", although he heard appeals for help from people who were injured or seeking evacuation.
However, only a few people dared to go out into town despite the lull. "Life hasn't resumed yet," Geha added.
Bodies were reported to be lying in the streets while aid organisations warned of a humanitarian crisis with people locked in their homes without food and medicine, and foreigners queued to flee Ivory Coast.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food
Khartoum (AFP) April 7, 2011
Sudan said on Thursday the two people killed in an air strike on its Red Sea coast were Sudanese, denying reports that a top Hamas militant was the target of the attack claimed to have been carried out by Israel. "Both people killed in the air strike were Sudanese, and in the area we found only two bodies. There were no foreigners with them," police spokesman Ahmad al-Tuhami told AFP. Th ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|